Restoring Dignity

Year Founded
2012
EIN
82-4375187
Local Leader/Exec. Director
Ms. Hannah Vlach , Founder and Executive Director
Primary Contact Name
Chloe Ray
Main Address

3260 Davenport Street
Omaha, NE 68131
United States

What We Do

Restoring Dignity is bringing lasting change and hope to local refugees. At the heart of our belief that something can and should be done to meet the needs of Omaha’s refugee community through empowerment, education, and advocacy partnerships. We serve refugee families through a variety of services:

  • "Welcome Home Program:" Our family educators (all former refugees) teach in-home acclimation classes to anyone who came to the USA with refugee status. We teach healthy home education classes (how to clean and maintain a home) and home/fire safety classes (in partnership with the American Red Cross).
  • Housing Advocacy: We provide housing advocacy for anyone with refugee status who needs assistance with their rental home. Culturally competent brokering between landlords and tenants is provided. 
  • Relief services: We provide free window a/c units, home-makeovers to families with extenuating circumstances, and Covid-19 and flu mobile clinics (with interpreters on site, via a partnership with the Douglas County Health Department and the Department of Health and Human Services).
Interesting Info
  • We have served over 21,000 refugees since 2018.
  • Less than 1% of displaced people worldwide get resettled in another country. The other 99% remain displaced.
  • 70% of the families we serve make less than $40,000 per year, with an average household size of 5.
Geographic Location
Photos and Videos
Woman standing in kitchen with cleaning products she received during our class.
Family happily sitting on couch after a home makeover.
Children standing next to a window air conditioner that was installed in their living room.
Volunteers helping at the furniture bank warehouse